Sunday, May 13, 2012 - Barrett Reservoir, San Diego

My new motto in life, "Why the f*ck not?". Instead of asking myself why I should do something, I'm asking myself if there's a good enough reason why I shouldn't do it. I get a call Saturday night, "Do you want to go fishing tomorrow near San Diego? We're leaving around 1 a.m. and we probably won't be back till 6 p.m." I work Monday through Saturday, around 45 hours a week, and I have a 3-day trip lined up next weekend to drive to Arizona and another 3-day trip the following weekend to drive to Yosemite and dinners set for this coming Monday and Tuesday night. I'm thinking, "Shit, I'm going to be tired, but why the hell not. When am I going to be doing this again?"

I've been getting a lot of sick patients lately. I had a 30-something-year-old female patient who I first saw about six months ago. She was a new patient at the clinic and I asked her if she had any problems today or why she was here. She said everything was fine, she just wanted a check-up because she has health insurance now. No previous medical problems. I do a full physical exam and order labs. I find that she has hepatitis C. Fast forward six months later, she has liver failure and dies, leaving behind young children who aren't even old enough to understand what was going on. Life's short. Be grateful. If you don't do things now, when are you ever going to be able to do it?

We left LA at 1 a.m. to drive down to Barrett Reservoir, San Diego. This place is only open May through September, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sundays. Tickets to fish here must be reserved and purchased through Ticket Master. Fishing is catch and release only. We got there before the sunrise and there were already a line of cars waiting to get in. Two of us took a rental boat and the other two went on float tubes. Among the four of us we caught around 50 bass. We fished for about 12 hours and got home around 9:30 p.m. A 20 1/2 hour day. Craziness.

Pictures were taken with my camera phone.
 
 Our rental boat and sunrise at Barrett Reservoir.

 Kayakers at sunrise. Morning mist rolling over the water.

 Moon still visible in the sky as the sun was rising.