Nepal - Day 9 (Sunday, April 6, 2014)

Sunday, April 6, 2014 - Acclimatization day

Dingboche (14,400 ft.) to the base of Nangkar Tshang peak (somewhere between 15,700-16,400 ft).

Approximately 3-4 miles. Elevation gain and loss: between 1,300-2,000 ft.

 In the morning, right outside the tents, the porters get a break today since we would be staying here a 2nd night for acclimatization.

 This would be a common scene here in the Himalayas of Nepal, and in Tibet. A way to keep the water warm.

 We would be heading up to the chorten and further, to the base of Nangkar Tshang peak, for our acclimatization.

 One of the houses along the way. I liked how the way the rocks were stacked, from the walls, to the roof, to the enclosed border.

 Getting higher up to the prayer flags.

 A view of the mountains and valley on our acclimatization hike.

 Looking down on the windswept potato fields of Dingboche. Since we were staying a 2nd night in Dingboche village, and the only thing on our agenda today was our acclimatization hike, we had time to restock our toilet paper and to take my first (much needed) hair wash. This was the longest I've ever gone without washing my hair. I had even cut my hair shorter than usual before this trip in preparation. It was the best hair wash I've ever had and I felt like a new person afterwards.